Latest Information on entering WA and COVID-19

Edith Cowan College

International Students

About Australia

Australia offers students a great place to study a Diploma program as a pathway to university and/or English Language Courses.

Australia is the world's sixth largest continent located in the southern Hemisphere. It is the only nation in the world to occupy an entire continent and thus it shares no borders with other nations. It is made up of six states each with their own parliament, flag and floral emblem.
Australia's coastal cities are places where the past collides with the present. Each city has its own personality and is littered with late 1800s European architecture mixed with modern high rise buildings.

Australian People

The Australian people are a friendly, energetic and vibrant bunch who enjoy a high standard of living with comparatively low cost of living. They are also very passionate about their sports, which can usually be seen during a game of football or cricket.

Australians also love their natural heritage, which exists as numerous national parks and well known tourist locations such as the Great Barrier Reef.


Although Australia is the flattest country in the world, it is full of remarkable natural beauty. From the vast deserts to the dense tropical rainforests to the golden beaches, Australia is a country with a diverse landscape.

Australia is also home to some of the worlds most famous landmarks such as, Uluru (Ayers Rock), the Sydney Opera House and the 12 Apostles along the Great Ocean Road.


With 43% of its population born off-shore, Australia is renowned for its multicultural society. For this reason, overseas students have no problems fitting in and our teachers are well adjusted in teaching students from many different backgrounds.

Although English is the main language, it is not uncommon to hear people speaking other languages when you're walking down the street.

Related links:

Living in Perth

Perth is an ideal study destination for international students. It offers one of the highest standards of living in the world, but is more affordable compared to the UK or USA. All full-time students are entitled to a 40% discount on all public transport, and buses within the central business districts of Perth, Joondalup and Fremantle are free.
The city enjoys a Mediterranean climate with perfect blue skies and a pollution-free environment. Perth also has a relatively low crime rate compared to other major cities, making its campuses, transport and city streets safe and secure There are a number of student accommodation options available for both local and international students and further information can be found under the Accommodation section of our website.

Your particular lifestyle will determine your budget and the type of accommodation you will be happy with, but the following estimates don't allow for luxuries such as flights to other parts of Australia for a holiday, flights home or buying and running a car.

We recommend that you arrange to arrive in Australia with at least $1,000 and you should also have access to a further $2,000 for your first week in Australia to cover costs relating to obtaining permanent accommodation, such as bond, rent in advance, utility connection and furnishings, etc.

Costs would normally include:

  • Accommodation
  • Clothing
  • Transport
  • Food
  • Entertainment

You will need approximately AU$16,000-20,000 per year ($315-400 per week) to cover your expenses (click here for currency conversion rates), in addition to your tuition fees. The cost of textbooks, obtaining a driver's license and some of the "one off" type expenses when you first arrive need to be accounted for (e.g. bond for accommodation, household items, utility/telephone connection fees.) Use this as a guide only. Textbooks and stationery should be budgeted at approximately A$200 - $400 per semester and some money may be saved by purchasing second-hand books (advertisements are usually placed on the notice-boards around campus).

Full-time students are entitled to cheaper fares on public transport. Bus and train fares vary but are about $2 per one way trip. Special SmartRider cards with student concession can be purchased which allow trips at discounted prices. SmartRider cards will be further explained at Orientation. Students are not able to apply for a SmartRider card until they have attended Orientation.

NOTE: Students are often entitled to discounts on a variety of entertainment and other purchases upon proof of their Student ID card.

Applying for ECU

Package Offer (International Students Only)

If you plan to continue your studies at Edith Cowan University, Edith Cowan College (ECC) can package your ECC and ECU courses together.

If you accept the offer you will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment from both institutions to apply for your visa. The advantage of this is that you will receive one visa for the entire duration of your studies.

On successful completion of your diploma, you will need to complete the application process for placement with ECU. ECU International Admissions will issue you with a new offer letter for your ECU course. This application can either be done in person or online.
During this process you will need to:

  • Complete an ECU application form
  • Submit your ECC results
  • Accept your offer
  • Pay your fees
  • Receive your Acceptance Letter and Activate your Account
  • Complete an application for advanced standing
  • Attend Orientation and Enrolment Sessions

A letter that outlines further details will be posted to you on completion of your Diploma program.

Local students - Complete an Application form and submit to the Admissions office together with most recent academic transcript. Students are advised of dates and deadlines via the ECC student portal. Students wishing to apply to other universities must apply through TISC (Tertiary Institutes Service Centre).


International students are required to satisfy all conditions set out on their Australian visas.

ECC are required by law to report students who breach their visa conditions. Reporting may result in cancellation of the visa and restriction from returning to Australian on a student visa for three years.

For more information, please visit Department of Home Affairs.


Looking for a Job

Remember that your studies should always be your first priority if you are planning to be successful in your course. However, students are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during semester whilst on a student visa. Always check with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, DIAC for rules and regulations regarding your student visa.

You will need to apply for a Tax File Number from the Australian Taxation Office; once you have received your tax file number you will need to supply this to your employer for taxation purposes.

A current resume and letter of application is recommended to provide to prospective employers to assess your previous experience, your skills and education in relation to the position you are applying.

Where to find a job

Part time and casual work is advertised in The West Australian Newspaper (the best days to look are Wednesday and Saturday).

You can also search on-line where you can search by job classification, type of work, such as part time and casual employment, and by location.

Many part time vacancies are not advertised and you will need to visit local businesses to enquire in person for available positions. Take your resume and letter of application to submit with the front desk or manager should any positions become available in the future. Department stores, supermarkets and cafes often look for students to fill vacancies and may not advertise.

Recruitment Agencies are also a good place to look for work and often are able to match your skills with current available employment.

Some tips to help you find a job:

  1. Why do you want a job? If it's to help you get through college and university, be realistic. Many successful people started off with an ordinary job to help them pay the bills. Decide on the kind of job you are willing to do.

  2. Have you asked for help? Tell everyone you know that you are looking for a job; friends, family, neighbours, fellow students, the cashier at the local supermarket. If you know someone who has a job, enquire if any other positions are available and use your contact as a reference.

  3. Have you checked the newspaper? There are several free community newspapers as well as the West Australian.

  4. Join a recruitment agency. Recruitment agencies often have on-going relationships with businesses which can create additional employment opportunities.

Useful Links


Western Australia has a selection of international and domestic banks. These include Advance Bank, AMP, ANZ, Bank of NZ, Bankwest, Citibank, Commonwealth Bank, HSBC, ING, Macquarie, National Australia Bank, Rabobank, Reserve Bank of Australia, St. George Bank and Westpac. Banks are usually found in shopping centres and are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4pm. Some banks are open on a Saturday morning.

To open up an Australian bank account, students need to take their passport, CoE(s), OSHC cards, birth certificates, etc. to prove their identity to a bank of their choice.

Automatic teller machines (ATMs) are located throughout the Perth and metropolitan area and are generally available 24 hours a day, and 7 days a week. Most ATM's will accept a variety of cards from different banks, although a small fee may be charged. Most banks are connected to the Maestro or Cirrus networks, allowing international visitors to access funds.

EFTPOS is used extensively throughout Australia, allowing you to make purchases, withdraw cash and make use of different account types via a single card. EFTPOS can be found at most petrol stations, supermarkets, liquor stores, department stores, and a number of small retail stores. Not all EFTPOS locations allow you to withdraw cash and a small fee may be charged for withdrawing cash, or a minimum purchase may be required.


All overseas students are required to be part of the Overseas Student Health Cover Scheme (OSHC). This provides health insurance for international students and their dependants during their stay in Australia. Premiums will apply according to the length of the visa.

Overseas Student Health Cover fees will be listed on your Letter of Offer and will be based on the full duration of your student visa.

What is OSHC?

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is health insurance similar to what Australians receive under Medicare. OSHC covers/part covers the costs for:

  • Out of Hospital Services/In Hospital Services
  • Prescription Medicines
  • Emergency ambulance transport

Why is OSHC so important?

The Australian Government requires all international students to maintain OSHC as a compulsory condition of their student visa for the entire time that you are studying in Australia. If you fail to maintain your OSHC, the Australian Government requires you to back pay any lapsed periods of the cover. You will not be able to claim for any treatment received during this backdated period. Failure to maintain your cover could therefore result in you paying thousands of dollars in medical expenses.

What are Direct Billing Providers?

Direct billing providers are medical providers (e.g. - GPs, hospitals) that have an agreement with ECC’s preferred OSHC provider Medibank (Overseas Student Health Cover provider). When visiting a participating clinic, show your valid OSHC card and they will send the invoice direct to OSHC. If students attend the ECU Health Service, the cost of seeing the G.P. is likely to be covered by OSHC.

All Medibank OSHC clients can visit any Perth metropolitan Medibank branch. The branch will help you with:

  • Cash claims and other claim submission
  • Ordering your Membership card
  • General information about your OSHC

For further information, visit
Member Services Officer: 134 148
24-hour OSHC Emergency Helpline: 1800 887 283

Mobile Phones

There are a number of options for purchasing and using a mobile phone in Australia. If you already have a mobile phone, you may be able to purchase a SIM card (check if your phone is compatible) and choose either Pre-Paid credit, a call cap or an account for your calls and text. Alternatively you can purchase a phone in combination with a SIM package.

Navitas can help you to make these arrangements before you leave home. You will receive your mobile number before you come to Australia so you can tell your family and friends and your phone and/or SIM package will be waiting for you to collect at orientation.


Airport Reception & Pickup

To assist you with your arrival in Perth, ECC provides a free airport reception service (for new students) studying English followed by a ECC Pathway program or students directly entering a ECC Pathway program. This offer is not extended to students who are on an ECU English plus bachelor/masters program. ECC utilises two companies to arrange airport reception for students. This service is available through Perth Student Accommodation (PSA) or WA Homestay Network. If you would like to be met at the airport and taken to your accommodation, please complete the application form available on the website of the company you wish to use below as soon you have your flight details. (Or 4-6 weeks prior to departure).

Airport Security and Customs

From 31 March 2007, the Australian Government will introduce enhanced security measures to limit the amount of liquids, aerosols, and gels that can be taken through the screening point for people who are flying to and from Australia.

Each container of liquids, aerosols or gels in your carry-on baggage must be 100 millilitres or less. All the containers must be sealed in a transparent, one-litre plastic bag. You are only allowed one plastic bag. Any resealable bag of one litre capacity or less is allowed.

You may still carry on board prescription medicines. Baby products and non-prescription medicines that you need for the flight are also allowed. Proof of need may be required.

When you get to the screening point, you will have to surrender any liquids, aerosols or gels greater than 100ml that you still have with you, including duty free. The new rules also introduce random frisk searches as part of the screening process.

Download student guide

Download your copy of the Edith Cowan College brochure to find out why studying with ECC at Edith Cowan University is the right study choice for you.

International Student Guide