Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Latest Information

Edith Cowan College

Speak to a Edith Cowan College staff member directly

Current Students


T: +61 (0) 8 6279 1100

Prospective Students


T: +61 (0) 8 6279 1100

Future Student FAQs

Q: If the travel ban continues, what options will students commencing ELICOS and future trimesters have?

A: ECC will now be moving online for our ELICOS program commencing on 28 April 2020 and Diploma courses commencing in Trimester 2, June 2020. As we move online our focus remains on providing a robust solution and supportive education environment, to facilitate academic success.


Q.What does virtual classroom mean?
A. This is an online learning environment that ECC will be offering through the Zoom communication platform while students are unable to travel to Australia.


Q. Will the virtual/online timetable be suitable for students in the different time
A. ECC is working on a timetable that will ensure that all students are able to attend virtual/online classes.

Q. Will ECC hold an Orientation for students studying online?
A. ECC will offer a robust, supportive, fun, and interactive orientation program to ensure all students are fully prepared to undertake their studies online.


Q: If I miss some of my online/virtual English class, can I join another one?

A: No. You are required to attend all your classes as set on the timetable. ECC will monitor your attendance. A minimum of 80% attendance of your English class is required for you to remain in the course.


Q. What if the borders open mid-course?
A. Once the borders open, it is expected that you come onshore to continue with your course. We will work with you to transition once you get your visa.


Q: What are the other ELICOS intakes ECC provides?

A: Please click here for more ELICOS intake dates


Q. Do I need a student visa to study online?
A. You do not need a student visa to study online. You need to accept your offer to receive a COE. If your course commences before the borders open we will enrol you for
online learning.


Q: What do I do if I already have a visa?

A: If you have a valid visa, you can enrol in ECC online English course. Once the travel ban is lifted, you can use your student visa to enter Australia and continue with their studies.


Q: What do I do if I have a student visa and I am already in Australia?

A: You are required to attend the virtual/online course offered at ECC.

Please contact our ECC Welcome Centre via:

Q: Can I still apply for my visa with the travel ban?

A: The Australian Government continues to process student visa applications as usual. For more information please contact your Education agent in your home country or visit the Australian Government website. In addition,

ECC will give you a letter stating the units you are currently enrolled in.


Q. What if my student visa application is refused?
A. If your student visa is refused, we will allow you to complete the unit(s) you will be studying at the time. You will be subjected to our current refund policy as you will have enrolled/commenced the course. You will get a full refund for the units not undertaken.


Q: Is ECC going to continue processing applications and acceptances?

A: For now, the admissions process remains unchanged. Applications will continue to be assessed, and acceptances will continue to be processed.


Q: Will my tuition fee be different if I study online?

A: No. You will pay the same tuition fees when studying online. Please note that virtual classroom is not self-study, you will have teachers teaching you. You will also have access to the ECC learning support and counselling services should you need them.


Q: What should I do if I don’t feel comfortable to study online?

A: Studying online is an option for our students. If you are not comfortable to study online you can defer. There will be no penalties.


Q: How can I defer?

Please ask your agent to request for a deferral by sending an email to ECC Admissions .


Q: Is there a deadline to request for a deferral?

A: Yes, you must submit the deferral request before Tuesday, 28th April 2020.


Q: What will happen to my student visa if I defer my studies?

A: Your current Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) will be cancelled and a new COE issued immediately for the next available intake. You will be provided a copy of this new COE. You can check your visa status through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).


Q: Will I pay for the extension of my visa?

A: Yes. We recommend that you contact the immigration department 3 months in advance before your visa expires.


Q: If the pandemic continue in June, will exams be online?

A: Exams will be replaced by alternative assessments.


Q: What if my English Proficiency test e.g. IELTS/PTE result expires when I defer to next intake?

A:  Your English proficiency test must be valid at the time you will commence your course. Therefore, in this instance, if deferring means that your English proficiency test result will expire, you will be required to take another test.


Q: Will ECU accept my English course certificate if I study the English course online?

A: Yes, both ECC and ECU will recognise your online English course certificate.


Q: If I complete my English course online with ECC, can I defer my next intake at ECU?

A: Once you complete your English course with ECC and achieve the grades required, you need to enrol at ECU for the intake stated on your offer to ensure that your English is at the right level to study your main course. If you take a break, your English proficiency may drop, thus affecting your future study in the main course.


Q: What if the travel ban is still in place when I finish the English course?

A: ECU are looking at different modes of delivery. They will send you further information once the decision is made.


Q: Can I visit the campus during this time?

A: Unfortunately, you are not able to visit the campus at present in line with government advice. However, please visit our Youtube page to see our campus video from the comfort of your home. We hope to see you at Edith Cowan College soon.


Our Welcome Centre is also open via Zoom using meeting ID: 925-226-1969 


Q: My school/university is closed and I am worried that I will not be able to meet the academic conditions on my offer. What should I do?

A: In many countries individual schools or universities may have closed or teaching may be restricted. If you are affected, we strongly encourage you to take advantage of any opportunity of any online provision available from your institution or exam board to ensure you are as well prepared as possible when your school or university reopens. We will monitor the situation and update offer holders as we know more.


Q. Does ECC still offer scholarships?

A. Yes, ECC still offers English and Academic scholarships . For more information, please click here.