Skip to Main Content
Female sitting


A part-time role can be a great way to meet people and earn some extra cash while you study. Use these resources to get started!

Working in Australia

You must ensure that part time work doesn’t distract you from your studies, and isn’t relied upon to cover your tuition fees and living expenses.

Student visa work conditions 

You will be permitted to work in Australia but there are several conditions which apply. Your student visa allows you to work up to a maximum of 48 hours per fortnight during academic term and unlimited hours during vacation periods. You will not be permitted to commence work until your course start date has commenced. For more information about permission to work while studying, please check the Department of Home Affairs website.

Fair Work 

It is important to know your work rights. Your employer is responsible for your working conditions and paying your wages and is required by law to follow standards of practice. More information can be obtained from the Fair Work website.

Tax File Number

Anyone working in Australia must have a valid Tax File Number (TFN) which is issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You can apply at the Post Office or through the ATO website . This website will provide you with information about which documents are required when applying for a TFN.

Paying tax in Australia

Once you have been in Australia for more than six months you are considered ‘a resident for tax purposes’. You will be required to pay tax on earnings from work or interest earned from bank accounts.

Finding employment

Use the following methods to find casual or part-time work

Most businesses now advertise for positions online. Below are some of the most popular job search websites:

It is important to network within your study and social groups, attend events, join sporting and cultural groups, and don’t be shy to ask about employment. You may be surprised by the opportunities that present themselves.

Many small businesses such as cafes, restaurants, bars and supermarkets around where you study or live may also be looking to employ people. Why not visit them in person and politely ask to leave your resume to be considered for upcoming job vacancies?

You can search for local jobs in Perth’s major newspaper, The West Australian. Have a look at the employment section in the Wednesday and Saturday edition of the paper to view a range of different jobs across Perth.

Rights & responsibilities

Know your rights as an international student

The Australian Government’s Education Services for Overseas Students Act, or ESOS Act, provides consumer protection for international students on a student visa, aims to enhance the quality of the student experience and protects the student visa program.

Find out more about your rights and responsibilities as an international student under the ESOS Act.

Back to Top