- What is personal information?
- What other information do we collect?
- What do we do with the information?
- Minors and privacy
- What won't we do with the information?
- Is data stored in a secure way?
- Do we publish personal information on our website?
- What about external links?
- Can I access and correct my personal information?
Edith Cowan College (ECC) and Navitas Limited (Navitas) are subject to the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
The Privacy Act regulates how private sector entities collect, use, disclosure and otherwise handle personal information.
What is personal information?
Personal information includes any information or opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. For further information visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website.
The types of personal information which ECC and Navitas collect may include an individual's name, phone number, email address, address, nationality, date of birth, and educational history. Due to the nature of the services provided by ECC and Navitas, some of the information we collect may be sensitive information, including details about an individual's race or ethnic background. It is not common practice for ECC or Navitas to collect information about an individual's medical history, religion, political opinion, sexual preference or criminal record, unless such information is required in order to process a student's application for admission, enrolment and education. ECC and Navitas will only collect sensitive information with an individual's consent.
Personal information may be collected by ECC and Navitas in a number of circumstances, including when an individual:
- lodges an enquiry through ECC or Navitas's online enquiry service;
- applies for admission to ECC or another Navitas facility;
- registers or enrols for a class or course offered by ECC or Navitas;
- attends a seminar; or
- applies for employment with us.
We generally collect personal information directly from the individual concerned, although there may be occasions when information is collected from third parties, such as a family member who contacts us on the individual's behalf, from our contractors who supply services to us, through our partner institutions or from a publicly maintained record. If an individual does not provide the information requested by us, we may not be able to provide them with our services.
What other information do we collect?
When you look at the ECC or Navitas website, our computers record your visit and log the following anonymous information for statistical purposes:
- the Internet Protocol address from which we receive the request
- the date and time our server received the request
- the pages, documents and files you requested
- the address of the resource which provided the link followed, if any, to the ECC or Navitas website
- the type of browser and, in some cases, the operating system used
- in some cases, data you send to our website from web forms (e.g. search terms).
What do we do with the information?
ECC and Navitas collect personal information for the primary purpose of providing our services to individuals. We may also collect personal information for purposes related or ancillary to the primary purpose of collection, including:
- administering and managing the services we provide to prospective and current students, including admissions, enrolment, education, billing, maintaining our information technology systems, customer service and data storage;
- marketing the services of ECC and Navitas and its related entities to prospective, current and past students;
- hiring and managing employees and contractors;
- planning, monitoring, evaluating and improving our services, including conducting market research and surveys and assessing customer satisfaction;
- and otherwise communicating with you.
ECC and Navitas will only use and disclose personal information about you for the purposes stated above, where we have your consent to do so, or as otherwise required or authorised by law. For example, ECC and Navitas centres may need to share student information with partner institutions in the course of providing education classes on the institution's campuses.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us using your information to contact you on an ongoing basis in order to provide you with marketing information we think would be of interest to you, including by mail, email, SMS and telephone.
ECC and Navitas may retain other companies and contractors to provide services for us, including entities located outside Australia, who will need to have access to your personal information to perform their obligations. ECC and Navitas may also use a cloud-based service to store and process personal information. By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us disclosing your information to entities located outside Australia for these purposes, as well as ECC and Navitas' related companies to allow those companies to use and disclose that information for the primary and ancillary purposes for which ECC and Navitas collects personal information stated above. In such circumstances, we are not responsible for a failure of the overseas recipient to comply with Australian privacy laws. The entities may be located in the USA, Japan and Hong Kong. For a full list of locations, please contact our Privacy Contact Officer.
Only a limited number of staff has access to the anonymous information collected via the ECC and Navitas websites. The information is collated for analysis. It is then evaluated and published in reports that show Navitas usage patterns and identify popular areas of the website. This helps us to improve and develop the website and its services.
For security reasons, ECC and Navitas use software programs to monitor network traffic and identify unauthorised attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Minors and privacy
When ECC or Navitas has knowledge that a person under age 15 is providing personal information to ECC or Navitas, we require the person to obtain parental permission and consent for you to provide ECC and Navitas with your personal information.
What won't we do with the information?
ECC and Navitas will not disclose or externally publish personal information to third parties who are not related to ECC or Navitas with a view to allowing them to direct market their products or services without the relevant individual's consent.
No attempt will be made to identify individual users of the ECC or Navitas websites except in the unlikely event of an investigation or legal proceedings, or where otherwise permitted to do so under the Privacy Act.
For example, ECC and Navitas will gather more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files other than those published on the ECC or Navitas website
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the ECC and Navitas website
- unauthorised attempts by other websites to index the contents of The ECC or Navitas website
- attempts to intercept messages of other ECC or Navitas website users
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the ECC or Navitas web server, breach the laws of the Commonwealth or a state of Australia, or interfere with the use of the ECC or Navitas website by other users.
Is data stored in a secure way?
ECC and Navitas have security measures in place to protect against loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control, as required by law and generally accepted industry standards. However, no system is 100% secure and to the extent permitted by law, we exclude any liability in contract, tort or otherwise for any security breach.
Do we publish personal information on our website?
ECC and Navitas will only publish personal information on our website if it has been collected for this purpose with your knowledge and consent.
When giving such consent you should be aware that information published on our website is accessible to millions of users from all over the world, that it will be indexed by search engines and that it may be copied and used by any web user. This means that once the information is published on our website, ECC and Navitas will have no control over its subsequent use and disclosure.
Names and email addresses of ECC and Navitas staff appearing on our website are provided with their knowledge and consent.
Under no circumstances will ECC or Navitas sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information.
What about external links?
This site contains links to other sites. ECC and Navitas are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Can I access and correct my personal information?
You have the right to access your personal information held by ECC or Navitas on request, subject to limited exceptions in the Privacy Act. We will deal with your request within a reasonable time. We may recover from you our reasonable cost of providing you with access.
ECC and Navitas will take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Should you wish to access or amend this information, or complain about a breach of the Privacy Act, please contact ECC and Navitas' Privacy Contact Officer as follows:
- Navitas Limited
- Level 8, 125 St Georges Terrace
- WA 6000
- Email: email@example.com
We will make all reasonable attempts to respond to your complaints or requests.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at:
- Website: www.oaic.gov.au
- Phone: 1300 363 992
Further information about the application of privacy law to the private sector generally can be found by contacting the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (details above).
If you no longer wish to receive any communications, or want to be removed from any ECC or Navitas database, please contact the service identified on the relevant feature page, or ECC and Navitas's Privacy Contact Officer on the details set out above.