Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Latest Information

Edith Cowan College


Students under 18 years of age

As well as meeting all requirements for a student visa, if you are under 18 years of age ECC must approve all your welfare and accommodation arrangements. Our student counsellor offers support and counselling to all students and will discuss any concerns about your welfare with your parents.

If you are younger than 18 and plan to stay with a friend or a relative outside your immediate family, you must receive permission to do so from your parents and ECC. The person you are staying with must be aged 21 or above, have an Australian police clearance and agree to act as your local guardian and carer. If you do not have a friend or relative to stay with while at ECC, we recommend Homestay accommodation. For information about local carers, please visit or email our student counsellor at

On-campus Accommodation

ECC students have access to on-campus accommodation at the ECU Mount Lawley and Joondalup Student Villages, which features five-bedroom apartments just a short walk from the university. The apartments are modern and fully furnished, with private bedrooms, bathrooms, large kitchens and spacious lounge areas, so students will have plenty of space to hang out with friends. The on-site facilities include a pool, café/convenience store, sound lounge, e-library, study zones and shared laundry. With resident assistants on hand to organise events and activities, you will find plenty to do and lots of ways to meet new people.

For more information and to download an application form, visit



Homestay is a popular accommodation option available to overseas students in Perth. Homestay may be families, couples, single people or single mothers with children. All are selected to provide good quality facilities and meals if required. The Homestay families have requested a student to stay with them, so students can be sure they will be very welcome.

Host families speak English and this will help to improve language skills. Host families help with day-to-day problems such as transport, banking and shopping. Homestay gives you a friendly environment where you can live, relax and study in comfort and security.

ECC utilises two companies to arrange accommodation for students. All questions regarding Homestay accommodation should be sent directly to the accommodation provider that you wish to use. Please visit their websites to find out more information and to complete an application form:

WA Homestay Network -


Applications for Homestay must be submitted to the accommodation provider 4 weeks prior to arrival in Perth. Please complete the application forms in full - these details will assist in providing you with suitable accommodation. If you choose Homestay, advise the accommodation providers if you have special diet or medical considerations (eg. religious; vegetarian), if you are a smoker and if you have problems living with pets (cats, dogs, etc.).

To secure Homestay, a Placement Fee must be paid at the time of submitting a request. Contact your local representative for assistance and complete the Accommodation/Airport Reception Form available from the websites listed above.

Homestay Costs (approximate)
Room Only Room, breakfast, dinner
From $165 weekly From $280 weekly

Off-campus Accommodation

Newly arrived students - be aware that you may need to devote AT LEAST ONE TO TWO WEEKS to finding suitable accommodation.

Off-campus options include house or unit/ flat rentals, or hostels. Costs vary considerably depending on size, quality and location. Renting normally requires you to sign a contract of 6 or 12 months and you will usually be required to pay one month's rent in advance as well as pay a refundable deposit (bond) in the event of any damage during the rental period. Any lease or other housing arrangements entered into are at the sole discretion of the student and the accommodation provider involved.

Information about rental properties is available from reception (a list of local properties), from local Real Estate agents and newspapers. The best day to look for housing is Saturday, using The West Australian newspaper. Some students also have success using the Gumtree website You may also find 'shared accommodation' notices on noticeboards around campus.

Some websites you may like to try are:

If you are going to rent private accommodation, please read this important Essential Renting Guide from DOCEP (Department of Consumer and Employment Protection) on renting in Western Australia.

The Boulevard - Student Accommodation in Perth

Located in the heart of the city, The Boulevard is in the centre of the city's vibrant cultural district and next to the city's main shopping precinct. The property is well located in relation to public transport with trains and buses providing access to both Edith Cowan College campuses. With a number of room types available, from private studios, twin studios, and shared apartments, there's something that's perfect for everyone!

Purpose-built student accommodation is designed specifically to meet all students needs and provide a space for students to reach their potential during their studies. With an extensive events and wellbeing program, The Boulevard is the perfect place to stay during your studies.

For more information, and to arrange a tour of The Boulevard, visit their website at:

Off-campus Accommodation and Living Costs*


Rental Type Weekly Rates
Shared Rental $85-$215
Rental $165-$440
Other Costs Weekly Rates
Groceries and eating out $80-$280
Gas, electricity, water $35-$140
Phone and Internet $20-$55
Public transport $15-$55
Entertainment $80-$150


*These costs are an estimate only. They do not include additional costs associated with a more expensive lifestyle.

There is support available for you at ECC if you are looking for accommodation.

You are welcome to see the Student Counsellor should you required assistance with finding accommodation.
There are some scams on the internet advertising properties in Perth and asking students to send money via Western Union.


  • Always visit the property and take a friend with you
  • If you decide you want to move in, create an agreement with the Landlord/agent (see link below)
  • It is best to pay money IN PERSON and get a receipt OR
  • Make sure any account you pay into belongs to a registered real estate agent and is based in Perth

It can be a complicated process and in Western Australia there are very good laws in place to protect tenants and any money they pay for bonds and advance rent. For further information please visit: Western Australian Consumer Protection.

Temporary Accommodation

Short-term accommodation may be arranged on behalf of students and/or parents on request through our accommodation providers. ECC utilises two companies to arrange accommodation for students. All questions regarding short-term accommodation should be sent directly to the accommodation provider that you wish to use. Please visit their websites to find out more information and to complete an application form:

WA Homestay Network -


Be sure to complete the application forms in full - these details that will assist in providing you suitable accommodation. Short-term accommodation is approximately $30-$60 per night or $205 per week.


You may also like to book your own temporary accommodation to suit your needs. A good website for this is

Airport Transfer

To assist you with your arrival in Perth, ECC provides a free airport reception service (for new students) studying English followed by a ECC Pathway program or students directly entering an ECC Pathway program. This offer is not extended to students who are on an ECU English plus bachelor/masters program. ECC utilises two companies to arrange airport reception for students. This service is available through Perth Student Accommodation (PSA) or WA Homestay Network. If you would like to be met at the airport and taken to your accommodation, please complete the application form available on the website of the company you wish to use below as soon as you have your flight details. (Or 4-6 weeks prior to departure).